Friday, January 24, 2020

How to read or edit a large text file in Windows 10?

One of my colleagues needed to open a large XML file (nearly a Gigabyte in size) to review the data and make any corrections to it. She tried Notepad++ as well as Microsoft XML Notepad 2007. It took minutes to load the file. She could barely scroll through the page.

I searched for a free and opensource tool that would do the job. I came across GNU Emacs. It is a powerful editor for the GNU operating system. GNU Emacs for Windows is also available for download, and it works like a charm.




Download Instruction is available at: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html

To get a copy of GNU Emacs for Windows, you can visit http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/  and download the latest version for your platform. 

For example, on my 64-bit Windows 10 system with an Intel processor, I downloaded emacs-26.3-x86_64.zip. I unzipped the folder at my desired location (C:\Program Files\Emacs) and browsed to the bin folder to launch emacs.exe. I also created a desktop shortcut to emacs.exe.

This editor opened that large XML file without any hesitation. It was easy to work on. I helped my colleague setup this editor on her workstation. She got very excited as she was able to work on the file effortlessly. I am sure you will find this editor exciting too when you run into the same issue my colleague ran into. 


No comments: